Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Raise the Black Flag: Ship Combat

After looking through a lot of Fate material both old and new, I have come to a few conclusions on how I would like to do Ship Combat in Raise the Black Flag. I will be starting with an already solid combat system that I think will work with a bit of tweaking. I will be using as a basis for ship combat Diaspora's Starship Combat minigame.

The reason is that when it is played it feels a lot like combat is described in Pirate and Age of Sail Stories. And that is what I would like to emulate. So there you go. there are some issues though. Firstly, their are no electrics or sensors or the like, so I will need to swap those out for something else or else remove them from the mini game altogether. Overall though I think that very little of it needs to change in order for ship combat to feel just like I think it should.

The other issue is how to do a ship to land attack. I really would like there t be a way to defend a shoreline fort from a sea vessel in a fun and imaginative way. This is the area I have the least understanding of how to do. I want fort defense to be fun and interesting. I want the players to be able to plan and figure, without having to go into minutiae and their plans must matter mechanically. I want there to be advantages on both sides of the fight. The ships are able to maneuver but the land has better supply or defense or something.

The issue I am having is a way to have defenders be able to make plans and defend without it getting bogged down. I would like to do something like a tower defense in Fate, but I have no real idea on how to do that. Also I would like a way to do a ticking clock that does not feel arbitrary. Maybe the players come up with a defense and that sets a couple of the difficulties and then the rolls will alter the time frame of the attack? I just can't quite get my head around this idea, but I know it has the potential to be amazing.

So any thoughts on how to handle those problems would be greatly appreciated. I have some ideas, but I don't necessarily have the best ones.

Pirate Word of the Day:
Landlubber: A person unfamiliar with the sea or seamanship. A sailor on the first voyage. A person who lives and works on land. The guy you definitely don't want next to you on a sea raid.